There is something about dinnertime that has always been a challenging time of the day as the kids compete for my attention while I attempt to cook dinner and we eagerly await daddy’s arrival home from work. Now that my kids have gotten older, I find that having something to snack on keeps the chaos to a minimum, until daddy walks in the door, that is. Once daddy is home ‘wrestle-mania’ breaks out in full force and the craziness continues, but at least everyone can pick up a little bite to eat – and I can finish up dinner. Consequently, appetizers have become a regular part of dinner in our family.
My fresh baked homemade Rosemary Rustic Loaf is the base for this delicious bruschetta. Topped with creamy ricotta, sweet roasted tomatoes, and a tangy balsamic glaze, you will love this combination of flavors. I could just eat a plate of this flavorful bruschetta for dinner, in fact, I have; and this appetizer may persuade you to do the same.
Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Bruschetta
Prep/bake time: 40 minutes / Serves: 6
6 slices of rosemary rustic loaf, halved
36 cherry tomatoes, roasted and chilled
1 cup ricotta
8 springs fresh basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
balsamic glaze, as desired
course salt & pepper, to taste
- Roast cherry tomatoes with olive oil drizzled on top in the oven at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until skins begin to blister.
- Remove tomatoes from oven and set on counter to cool. Once cooled, place in an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Prep the ingredients before assembling and serving.
- Toast pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, set aside.
- Roll basil leaves together and slice in thin strips, set aside.
- Retrieve roasted tomatoes from refrigerator and you are ready to assemble.
- Using the rosemary rustic loaf, make six slices about half an inch thick, half each slice equally.
- Top each slice with a heaping tablespoon of ricotta, three cherry tomatoes, slices of basil, sprinkle with pine nuts, add a pinch of course salt, cracked pepper, drizzle balsamic glaze and serve immediately.