It’s that time again, middle of the week and I’m running low on steam. A hearty breakfast this morning will be a great start to my day. I love to make breakfast foods, especially scrambles; they are quick, easy and versatile. I will make a scramble out of just about any veggie I have in the refrigerator, but this one wasn’t by chance.
This is my Summer Squash Scramble, inspired out of my love for calabacitas (A Mexican food side dish) and eggs.
Sauté onions and garlic in butter until translucent.
Add in your summer squash, I used yellow squash and zucchini.
Don’t forget the GREEN CHILE.
Add in corn and cilantro, as well as a few other ingredients not pictured here. Get the full recipe and instructions below.
Summer Squash Scramble
Prep time: 10 minutes / Cook time: 10 minutes / Serves: 4
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, salted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
2 tablespoons green chile, chopped
1 cup sweet corn, fresh or thawed
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped + more for garnish
2 teaspoons half and half
1/4 cup parmesan, romano and asiago cheese, shaved (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
6 eggs, scrambled
- In a large skillet, sauté chopped onion in 1 tablespoon butter on medium-low heat until translucent, add crushed garlic.
- Add in diced zucchini and yellow squash to the sautéd onion and garlic, salt and pepper, cook on medium heat until squash softens; about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet corn to the squash mix and continue to cook on medium heat for 2 more minutes.
- Once corn is heated through stir in half and half, allow to simmer for one minute.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro and half of the cheese, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, beat eggs, set aside.
- In a separate skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter, add eggs and scramble over medium heat until slightly done (the eggs will still be wet). Gently fold in squash mixture. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and cilantro.
Serve these eggs with your favorite breakfast meat and a side of hot salsa.
Breakfast is served. A hot and hearty homemade meal ready in no time.