It’s mid-week and I am scrambling to get something on the table for dinner. Between my own to-do list, after-school activities, end-of-the-school-year projects, and sports; who has time to prepare a homemade meal?! I also forgot to get some fresh veggies from the store, thankfully, I always keep a stash of veggies in the freezer for this very scenario. Tonight, dinner will be ready in 30 minutes and it’s kid approved.
I’m grilling up garlic chicken and broccoli, served over fun farfalle pasta and tossed with a lemon butter sauce. I personally like to take a break from having two or more side dishes for every dinner, it get’s to be too much. On a day like today, I am thankful for recipes like this that are one-and-done.
broccoli chicken farfalle
Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
3 chicken breasts, halved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoons salt
pepper as desired
1 16oz bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed and sliced
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 12oz box farfalle pasta, cook as directed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons butter, salted
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
green onion, chopped
pine nuts, toasted
parmigiano reggiano, shaved
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Fill a stock pot two-thirds full of water. Add 2 teaspoons salt to flavor pasta.
- Cut chicken in half, coat pieces with 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Place chicken in a gallon size plastic bag and set aside.
- Slice broccoli florets, lengthwise. Place on a large piece of foil and drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil on top. Sprinkle juice and zest from the lemon over florets. Add 1 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Place this on the top rack of the grill.
- While broccoli is heating up, place chicken on the grill as well. Cook each side for about 5-7 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken. Center should be white, not pink. When done, wrap chicken with foil and set aside. Allow broccoli to continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water. Follow instructions on package.
- While pasta cooks, make your sauce. On medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Once garlic is fragrant, turn heat to low and simmer.
- Chop green onion. Slice grilled chicken. Remove broccoli from grill. Drain pasta. Assemble dish.
- In a large serving bowl, toss farfalle pasta and half of the lemon garlic sauce.
- Layer broccoli florets and sliced chicken on top of the pasta.
- Top with chopped green onion, toasted pine nuts, and shaved parmigiano reggiano.
- Pour the remaining lemon garlic sauce on top and serve.
Optional: Add some fresh cracked pepper and grated lemon zest once platted.