With Mother’s Day approaching I thought I’d share with you one of my favorite go-to breakfasts. This recipe is quick and simple, perfect for serving that special person (also known as mom) breakfast in bed – hint, hint. Nothing like hot maple syrup dripping down the sides of a heaping stack of pancakes to say ‘I Love You’. Of course, these pancakes can be enjoyed by anyone, at anytime, and anywhere. You will find my family enjoying a hot breakfast outdoors most warm, sunny days. My kids ask for them often, so I make large batches and freeze them for a quick breakfast. Buttery crunch on the outside and a light and fluffy vanilla infused center, these mouth-watering pancakes will soon be a favorite of yours.
Prep and cook time: 1 hour / makes 4-5 dozen
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
3-4 tablespoons butter
butter and maple syrup
- Preheat your electric griddle to a medium high heat while mixing the pancake batter. If you prefer to use a large skillet you can wait until your batter is ready.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Using an standing or hand held electric mixer, beat eggs, buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla extract on high for one minute.
- Lower your mixer speed and add flour mixture one cup at a time until combined.
- Butter your preheated griddle or skillet, use a 1/4 measuring cup to pour batter onto buttered surface. Cook until center bubbles and then flip. Edges should be golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup
In order to attain the right crispy golden texture on the outside of your pancakes, butter your skillet or electric cook-top before pouring batter. Test skillet or electric cook-top heat by pouring a half-dollar size amount of batter onto the surface.
Compare this buttermilk pancake recipe with my Maple and Flaxseed Buttermilk Pancakes, and let me know which recipe you enjoyed more!