A hint of spice and oh so chewy … these cookies are a sure win for your special Valentine this year! Instead of stopping at the store to pick up a treat, why not make these mouth-watering cookies? Your Valentine will LOVE that you did, and so will you.
gf chewy ginger cookies
Prep and bake time: 50 minutes / Makes 3 dozen
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 egg, beaten
raw sugar for dusting (I used Demerara sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Prep cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the gluten free flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar together, once fluffy beat in the egg and molasses.
- Add the gluten free flour mixture until combined, wrap with plastic and refrigerate for an hour or until the dough firms up.
- Once the dough is firm enough to separate without being sticky, using a tablespoon measure out mounds of dough and roll in the palm of your hand. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass and partially flatten rolled dough onto parchment sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with course sugar and bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden and set.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
The dough will be slightly sticky when handling, if it is too sticky to handle then you can add a bit more flour before refrigerating. Refrigerate until you are able to roll the dough into a ball in the palm of your hand. You can also serve these cookies as an ice cream sandwich with your favorite ice cream flavor.
Cookies may be stored in an air tight container for up-to a week.