I love playing with my food. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t throw it at others, build towers with it, or smear it all over the floor. I love playing with the different flavors from each ingredient to make a unique and healthy dish. I want my food to be FUN to eat, full of vibrant colors and rich flavors, leaving you wanting more [especially when it comes to my kids].
Sweet and Savory Couscous
Prep/cook time: 20 minutes / Serves: 4-6
15 pitted dates, finely chopped
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped parsley plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt-and-pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
2 cups prepared chicken broth
2 cups couscous
- In a two quart pot, over medium heat, sauté garbanzo beans together with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt ,and pepper.
- Cook for two minutes and add 1/4 cup chopped parsley and 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Bring chicken stock to boil and add chopped dates.
- Finally pour in couscous, stir ingredients together, remove from heat and cover.
- Allow couscous to sit for 5 minutes, uncover, fluff with a fork and serve.
I also love to add feta and/or toasted pine nuts to this dish.