Avocado is one of my favorite foods, it’s healthy, delicious and has always been a ‘staple food’, in my mind. Milk, eggs, bread, avocados (that, and ice cream). There is something to be said about mashing an avocado into a heaping mound of zesty guacamole, magnífico.
There was a time, early in our marriage, when my hubby wouldn’t even touch an avocado, let alone chunky guacamole. So, in my stubbornness, I set out to find the perfect combination of flavors that would change his opinion about “green stuff”. Finally, he said,”it wasn’t bad”, which really meant that he was hooked. The recipe was simple then: avocado, lime juice, garlic salt. Little by little, I would add a new ingredient here and there, he didn’t seem to mind.
Now, here we are, years (okay, over a decade) later, and between the five of us, I can’t keep enough guac in the house. My kiddos would eat an entire bowl of this for dinner if I let them, and my youngest would ask for extra jalapenos! He’s a boy after my own heart!
Prep time: 15 minutes / Serves: 6
4 medium size avocados, cubed
1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup onions, finely diced
1 lime, zest and juice
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
- Prepare the avocado: wash, halve, twist, seed, score, scoop.
If you need further instructions on preparing your avocado, see note below.
- In a large mixing bowl add avocado, onion, garlic, juice from lime and 1/4 teaspoon zest, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon, combine ingredients until avocado cubes begin to break down, do not over mash.
- Add tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro until combined.
- Transfer guacamole to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Prepping an Avocado
- Wash the avocado.
- Place avocado on a non-slick surface.
- Hold the avocado on it’s side and slice lengthwise around the seed.
- Once you have cut the entire length, twist the two halves in opposite directions and pull apart.
- Seed the avocado using a spoon, or carefully use a knife to grip the seed and twist it out.
- Score avocado with a blunt knife and scoop out with a spoon.
- Transfer avocado cubes to mixing bowl.
Note: Save the avocado seed and use it to keep your guacamole fresh. If you’re not serving it right away, place seed in guacamole, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for later use.