Dinner time can be a crazy part of the day. No matter your stage of life, getting a delicious homemade meal on the table is not always simple. At least, it’s not in my house. Like today for instance, when I was in the middle of breading my chicken, hands coated in flour, oil heating on the stove, my three kids simultaneously rush through the kitchen, squabbling over a toy. This is pretty much the most inopportune time to interrupt what I’m doing to talk through the issue. Not to mention, I’m now frustrated because I was almost ready to cook the chicken. Wash chicken juice off hands, check. Don’t forget to turn off the oil heating on the stove, check. Work out toy/heart issue with kids, check. Change my own attitude/heart, getting there – ha!
Lightly breaded chicken, covered with tender slices of buttery mushrooms, each bite melts in your mouth. If you are looking for a twist on your typical chicken dish, give this recipe a try, it’s a hit with any crowd. My kids rave about this chicken and always ask for more mushrooms, a win-win in my book.
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 30 minutes / Serves: 6
3 large chicken breasts, halve through the center
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (I used 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe’s)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter, salted
3/4 cup white wine, any dry
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
1 8 oz package crimini mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
fresh thyme, optional
Instructions for Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place one cup flour in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Fillet chicken breast down the center of the chicken. You can do this best by laying the chicken breast flat, placing the palm of your hand on top of the breast and using a knife, carefully slice the meat into two thin pieces.
- Using a paper towel, pat chicken dry.
- Add garlic powder, seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides, coating evenly.
- Pour three tablespoons olive oil into a large skillet and begin to warm on medium heat.
- While warming the skillet, evenly coat chicken in flour.
- Once the olive oil has reached medium heat, carefully place floured chicken into skillet and brown both sides until golden; this should take no more than five minutes.
- Place chicken into a 13×9 glass dish, be careful to save skillet drippings for the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Prep mushroom sauce while chicken bakes, top chicken with sauce and serve.
Instructions for Mushroom Sauce
- To the drippings in the skillet, add butter and melt on medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add crushed garlic and whisk until fragrant.
- Add 2 teaspoons flour, continue whisking, slowly adding white wine until combined.
- Lower heat, add sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste, stir to combine.
- Cover skillet, simmer on low for a few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove sauce from heat and serve immediately over chicken.
- If desired, sprinkle with fresh thyme.