Ya’ll know I love to bake! Baking is one of my creative outlets, it’s a happy place for me and I enjoy every part of it; that is until my oven decides to burn my planned masterpiece or I just all-together forget that it’s baking only to smell it burning 30-minutes later. I go through seasons where I have intentionally tried to focus my efforts away from baking, mainly because I don’t want to eat all the carbs, but alas, a flour dusted counter coupled with purchasing massive amounts of butter is evidence to the contrary.
Speaking of flour and butter, this classic dessert is basically made entirely of these two ingredients; and a little sugar. Flaky, buttery, slightly sweet and all-together delicious; shortbread can be described in just two words: simple, delightful. Just a few ingredients and a little baking time and you will be enjoying a slice of this shortbread topped with fresh fruit and jam in no time.
Prep time: 5 minutes / Bake time: 30 minutes
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Line an 8-inch round glass dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift both flour and sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut butter into small cubes and place in a food processor.
- Add sifted flour mixture into the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Dump mixture into the lined dish and press down until dough forms and becomes firm.
- Using a fork, press into the dough forming a wedge pattern for slicing, sprinkle top with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top begins to turn slightly golden, cool before serving.
You may want to add 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 whole vanilla bean seeded to this recipe for added flavor.
Top with your favorite fresh fruits or jams and jellies.