The 4th of July is only days away and it’s about time to finalize that weekend menu. With barbecues, potlucks, and other weekend shindigs in full swing, it’s nice to have a great recipe for a delicious dish that is simple to make and fun to share with friends and family. This Red and White Caprese Pasta Salad is not only super easy but also convenient to prepare ahead of time and refrigerate. A win-win in my book, it’s a bonus when I don’t have to run around finishing up a dish when I’m also trying to get ready to go.
Aren’t these red and white striped bow tie pastas so festive?! As I was walking the aisles at Homegoods, which you can find me doing often, I eyed a package of imported Italian pasta and immediately picked it up. My first thought was, “These are so cute!” but then I thought, “Wait a minute, what did they use to dye the pasta?”. To my surprise, the red stripes on the pasta are beet dye, yay!! Needless to say, the pasta package made it home with me.
I love delicious and simple recipes with colorful fresh ingredients like these plump cherry tomatoes, homegrown basil, green onion and garlic. And what about those large pieces of fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of the yummiest balsamic glaze. This cute farfalle pasta brings a hearty twist to the traditional caprese salad and it is bursting with flavor, a perfect dish for your 4th of July gathering.
Red & White Caprese Pasta Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: according to package, about 7-10 minutes / Refrigerate: at least 1 hour / Serves: 6
2 cups of sliced cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt
5 large basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
15 fresh mini mozzarella balls, cut in half
pepper to taste
1 12oz pkg farfalle pasta
- In a large sauce pan, over medium high heat, fill with water half way and add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Once water is boiling, add in farfalle pasta and cook according to the package. Watch that your pasta does not get overdone, you want it to be al dente.
- Drain pasta, place in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, coat evenly, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, wash tomatoes, green onion and basil.
- On a secure cutting board, using a chef’s knife, slice cherry tomatoes in half and set in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Chopped green onion and basil leaves and add to the cherry tomatoes.
- Mince or crush garlic and add as well.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the tomato mixture, add salt.
- Once pasta is cool, add tomato mixture to the pasta and toss to coat evenly.
- Cut mozzarella balls in half and add to the pasta. You can stir them in now or wait until time to serve.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to 12 hours.
- Drizzle with a balsamic glaze before serving.
May you have a blessed 4th, celebrating with your family and friends.